Lower throat irritation. Cause and remedy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi I have a lower throat irritation,which sometimes makes me gag cough,had it for a couple of months now,when I breath sharply through my nose I can feel the air passing the irritated spot
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 22 minutes later
Your symptoms being persistent for 2 months point toward chronic conditions causing sore throat ( laryngitis or pharyngitis ) like a resistant viral infection , or allergy or reflux disorder .
If you are a smoker then tobacco smoke can cause both inflammation or malignancy of the throat which can present this way.
As of now it seems most probably a viral laryngitis since you can feel the air passing over it and assuming you have no allergies , reflux or smoking exposure.
In such a case most of the times the condition is self resolving with adequate supportive care.
However since its already 2 months , I would recommend you get yourself evaluated by your doctor or preferably an otolaryngologist ( Ear nose throat specialist). He can examine your throat and if necessary carry out tests ( throat swabs , blood counts etc) to confirm the diagnosis .
The treatment would vary depending on the diagnosis .
Meanwhile you can try warm saline throat gargles and steam inhalations thrice daily for soothing relief.
Also make sure you avoid dust,smoke , spicy foods to avoid aggravating the problem.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask any further queries .
Follow-up: Lower throat irritation. Cause and remedy? 20 hours later
hi thankyou for your reply,i am a non smoker,i don't think its reflux, I am a mechanic,and yes some smells of the trade and grinding dust do make the throat sensitive,or my throat is sensitive towards these things, I was treated as an allergy,i was given a breath in steroid and antihistamine tablets,it stopped the gag, but did not go away,does this help,thanks.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the information.
It seems that indeed allergy would be a likely possibility in your case and the treatment was appropriate. Infact both viral induced or allergic laryngitis / pharyngitis should respond to a course of steroids and antihistamines.
I assume you did have some response but not complete resolution.
Again in such a situation direct examination of the throat and larynx by the doctor is important to look for any lesions or persistent inflammation .
If the treatment taken was for less than a week ( short course ), an alternative longer course of anti allergic treatment might be tried if needed.
Prevention however is the best way to resolve allergies and if feasible try to avoid the irritant fumes or take a break .
Breathing exercises , gargles , steam inhalations help in faster resolution by improving the blood circulation .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.