Lower legs between knee and ankles appear to be bruised. Had rash on shins. Eczema or psoriasis?

I notice that my lower legs between my knee and ankles appear to have a bruised look to them. It does not hurt but has appearance of reddish/purple tone. For the past few weeks I have had a rash on one of my shins also. Not sure if it is related. It looks like eczema or psoriasis.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out erythema nodosum

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that what you are telling are very non specific symptoms , they can represent any disease . Rash on shins can be a manifestation of many systemic diseases also apart from skin diseases like Erythema nodosum can occur in many diseases like sarcoidosis, tuberculosis etc in which rash is typically on shins.

I would like you to consult a dermatologist and get the rash examined by him because only after examining exact cause of rash can be determined . One more thing is to get your platelet count checked to rule out if they are any ecchymotic patches.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti