Lower back pain with breathing difficulty. Not cured by percocet. MRI done. Should I visit ER?

Nov 2013

Hello. I am a 52 y/o white female with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain. For about a year, I have had horrendous lower back pain. MRI results list "minimal to mild disc bulges L3-4 and L4-5. Mild degenerative spondylotic changes. Mild degenerative spoldylosis of the thoracolumber spine". We flew to Michigan for 6 days, and my back pain flared up about 3 days after returning (January 18). My lower back is hot to the touch, throbbing, and sending hot ripples of pain up the middle of my back. I take Percocet 10/325 perscribed by a Pain Management doctor for other nerve damage, and one Flexaril at night. Neither medication is controlling the pain. Should I consult an ER physician? Also, these "episodes" give me difficulty in breathing. Any information is appreciated. Thank You.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of low back pain.

However, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological disease.

Also, as per your MRI report, there is no significant compression of your lumbar (lower back) nerves.

For relief, you may take pregabalin capsules. In addition, adequate rest is important.

Physiotherapy including ultrasound, local IFT, etc would also be useful.

So there is no need to worry or visit ER at the moment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist