Lower back pain, headache when exposed to sun

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Fiancee suffers from lower Back pain very often, although her wieght and height is ideal for her age (50kgs and 5.5"). She usually suffers this pain, if she sits in one place for a long time. She also gets headache, whenever she is exposed to very bright and hot SUN
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Low back pain at her age after sitting for a long time could be due to-
1. Calcium and Vitamin D3 deficiency.
2. Improper body posture.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
6. Bone infections like tuberculosis.
A detailed examination and investigations like MRI and blood tests are entailed under the guidance of an orthpedician. The treatment further depends on the cause.
The headache on exposure to bright sunlight may be related to stress on the eyes due to sudden light exposure or dehydration caused by excssive perspiration. Avoiding the exposure and taking plenty of fluids orally before the exposure will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.