Lower abdominal pain. Ultrasound done. What are the findings and required treatment?

Hi, my wife was suffering from pain on her lower part of abdomen from some time, now upon doctors advice we have done the ultra sounds and following is the finding of the reports:
"overall myometrial texture is heterogenous which can conceal small myomas, as such on large myometrial mass is seen

both ovaries are normal in sizes but appear to be relatively echopeic. rto measures 37.3 33,6mm and lto measures 32.32.2 mm"
The doctor has advised us for some more tests, which could take a week, I am worried and want to know what could be the possibilities and treatments
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The comments about the ovaries are of low concern. From what you are describing, I would summarize her situation as: your wife is a 32 year old female with a history of pelvic pain and an ultrasound showing a probable large fibroid.

Fibroids are common, benign tumors of the uterus. They are made up of muscle cells. They are typically associated with painful, heavy periods and can certainly be associated with pelvic discomfort depending on their size.

It sounds like the ultrasound did not define things well enough. It also sounds like you need some followup imaging to further determine exactly what is going on. One option in a case like this would be an MRI of the pelvis, which is a great way to define things further.

Based on her age, concern regarding cancer is very low. If she has uterine fibroids, the most common treatment is a hysterectomy (removing the uterus). This, of course, is usually delayed until after childbearing is completed. If you are planning on children, then an MRI is even more useful in terms of defining the extent of the fibroid and ones ability to remove it (myomectomy) without taking the uterus out.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any followup questions.