Low grade fever after doing security check on man with dried blood on clothes. Worried about contracting hepatitis

hello dr griief i am a deputy sheriff and around three years ago i patted a man down on the outside of his clothes to make sure he had no weapons of drugs on him, i remember vagley that he had dried blood on his clothes but i also remember i was careful not to touch the blood. a few weeks later i came down with a low grade temp around 102-101 with no other symptoms just the fever, the doctor asked me if i had been exposed to hepatitis since we come into contact with blood on my job. the only situation i could think of was that one. but i honestly didnt think i got blood on me and i cant remember if i had any cuts if i did it would be small probley like a paper cut. im a worrier so ive got this on my mind now. my daughter uses my toothbrush accidentally sometimes so im a little concerned. my question is could i have contracted hepatits from unseen blood do you consider this high risk? ive had the hbv vaccine around 15 years ago.please give me your advice. thank you!amy
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Coming in contact with a dried blood will not transmit any infection. A direct contact with the fresh blood is needed for the infection to be transmitted.
Mild low grade temperature that too only once is not indicative of any such infection.
Since you were vaccinated 15 years ago, the chances of getting an infection are even lower.
To rest your anxiety, it is best to get your blood tested for hepatitis B surface antigen and get your liver enzymes evaluated.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.