Low body weight, less facial and body hair, acne, hair loss, had appendicitis and delayed puberty. Solution?

Question
I AM 24YRS MALE WITH HEIGHT AND WEIGHT 5.5 AND 53KGS RESPECTIVELY. MY MEDICAL HISTORY, AT THE AGE OF 11 I HAD APPENDICITIS. I HAD DELAYED PUBERTY, AT THE AGE OF 17 I REACHED PUBERTY.

My problem 1: Less body weight, less facial and body hair. I want to gain weight and get full beard.
My problem 2: I had no acne till recently 6 months ago. Now I am suffering with Acne Vulgiris too, a moderate one.

Please help me with my body weight. And suggest me the medicine which should not have side effects on my Hair(head). As already since three yrs I started losing hair...atleast 30-40strains of hair i lose every day..
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

The decrease in facial hair and delayed puberty is most commonly seen due to hormonal disturbances. Having acne vulgaris is associated with higher androgen levels.

You can get yourself examined by a XXXXXXX or a Endocrinologist so that he/she can examine you and suggest a blood work to test your Testosterone hormone levels. If it is found to be abnormal the treatment will depend upon the cause.

The cause for decreased facial and body hairs include,
1.) Hereditary.
2.) Decreased Testosterone level.
3.) Unknown.
Regarding the weight gain as soon as your hormone levels become normal you are likely to gain some weight. The body structure is again mainly influenced by genes.
Dietary modifications can help you upto some extent.

Acne vulgaris needs treatment with antibiotics, retinoids, isotretinoin and other agents after a careful assessment by a dermatologist.

Follow these lifestyle modifications
1.) Shave your beard and Moustache daily.
2.) Avoid stress and practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
3.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. You can take protein supplements to help you gain weight.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
5.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
6.) Exercise regularly and chalk out a proper diet for yourself after consulting a dietitian.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
If you are satisfied with the answer I request you to accept the answer.
Regards.