Low WBC count. Having cold. Do I need to go for CBC again?

Hello, I went to my annual physical exam a few months ago and did a CBC. The doctor said she wanted me to re-test for white blood cell count because my count was on the low end of normal (normal ranged from 4-10 I believe and my count was 4.3). When I talked to the medical assistant, she didn't see any reason to re-test. Anyway, I had a cold virus at the time I did my blood test, which may have impacted results. Should I be worried and do you see a reason to re-test my white blood cell count? I feel great and do not have any symptoms.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 30 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us for your health related queries.
This is good to know that you are feeling great & have no abnormal symptoms. Normal Total White blood cell count ( WBC ) is 4-11,000/ millimeter cube. If your count is 4.3,000/cubic millimeter, this is essentially within normal limits.
Please note that this total WBC count is further divided into differential leukocyte count. We have 5 types of WBCs in our body. When Complete Blood Count ( CBC ) is done, it also show differential WBC count of all 5 types in addition to Total WBC count already discussed.
Please check all these were also in normal range. Because infections may effect one specific type of WBC only. An abnormally low one type cells may be the reason of your doctors concern.
I have told you the main theory, you may upload your report for more detailed analysis. I will then be in a better position to reassure you. I will be happy for any follow up question you may have after reviewing your report.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Low WBC count. Having cold. Do I need to go for CBC again? 27 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi.

The medical assistant said there wasn't any reason for concern as the Doctor would have called if there was anything that stood out as "abnormal". The doctor had just noted to retest for complete WBC in a month or so, probably because it was on the low end of normal. Nothing was referenced as far as a type of white blood cell being unusually low. I don't have a copy of the report, otherwise I would have attached. My guess is that the cold virus played a role as I understand that WBC count can change daily.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I tend to overly worry about health concerns and think about the worse-case scenario more often than is needed:(

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 18 minutes later
You are welcome XXXXXXX
If you are sure all else is normal then it would not be right for you to be worried. I suggest you should not take much tension & hope for the best.
If possible, follow your doctor as she has seen the actual report & may have some reason to request a re-test.
Your guess is right infections including cold may change your WBC count but usually there is an increase rather than decrease. May be this was bothering your doctor.
I hope I have provided you with the relevant information. If you don't have any further point to discuss you may close this discussion by accepting & rating my answer or you may write back if anything else is bothering you.
I will appreciate your review about my answer.
Best Regards.