Low MCHC. Can I take iron supplement like Geritol?

Can I just take an iron supplement, like Geritol if my mchc is low?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Hematology, working with an experienced Hematologist. I answer on his behalf.

packed red blood cells. This when low indicates low values of haemoglobin in the body and indirectly indicates low iron levels.

It could be best first line management to treat such condition by taking Iron supplements.Geritol is contains required vitamins and minerals ,also it is safe.

You can proceed taking geritol for a month and repeat the test again to see the response.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later

I can understand your concern. The normal value for MCHC is about 33%. Low MCHC indicates microcytic, hypochromic anemias caused by iron deficiency anemia, pyridoxineresponsive anemia, or thalassemia.

You have not mentioned your hemoglobin count. If your hemoglobin count is low (Female: 12.1 to 15.1 gm/dL) then you can take iron supplements for low MCHC because in that case low MHC is due to iron deficiency anemia. But it is advisable to take them under medical supervision.

But if your hemoglobin count is normal then there is a chance of thalassemia and in that case, iron supplements are not advocated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.