Low HB, thin body, on structure diet. Suggest healthy diet.

ENT Specialist
Hi, i am 27 year married woman. My height is 5'6" and current weight is 55. I have low HB and my body structure is thin. I want to increase weight and muscle mass. I have been taking structure diet with Bananas and egg white, but still am not able to increase muscle mass. Please help me, i really want to have healthy shape.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

As you have mentioned that you are having low Hemoglobin (Hb), first of all you require a thorough evaluation to find out the cause of your low Hb. Secondly, regarding your height and weight, your weight is normal for your sex, height and age ( and your Body Mass Index is also normal.

     You need to get a battery of investigation done to find out the actual cause of your low Hb (presuming you do not have any menstrual disturbances or blood related disorders), including test of stools for occult blood, cysts and ova. For these investigations you need to consult your doctor and also, try taking tablets for de-worming.
     Eat plenty of dairy products, egg, pulses (such as soya beans), carrot, beetroot, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fresh fruits.
     If at all you are stressed, do exercises to distress yourself.
     Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow-up: Low HB, thin body, on structure diet. Suggest healthy diet. 7 hours later
Well i want to know the way to increase the muscle mass, i.e. for healthy structure
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Muscle mass is genetically determined, the muscle mass of the female varies when compared to that of the male; this is because of various hormones. It is easier to put on quality muscle tissue in your twenties than in your late thirties.

The following are the tips regarding nutrition and other muscle building facts for you which can help you in building muscle mass:

1. First of all, women need different nutrients than men. They require more iron to compensate for the blood loss during menstruation, and more proteins.
2. Proteins provide the muscles with the right fuel. If you are a non-vegetarian, poultry, fish, eggs and meat products are a XXXXXXX source of proteins and for the vegetarians to gain the same amount of proteins, pulses such as soya beans are the best choice.
3. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, whole grains (such as rice, wheat, oats, etc.) and omega -3 fatty acids help in reducing the fat and building of the muscles.
4. Workout, for strengthening your muscles and mind as well, it can be in the form of aerobics to shape your body and muscle building exercises in the gym.
5. Lifting weights (light to moderately heavy weights), jogging and abdominal exercises can also help in building the muscles.
6. Perform 30 minutes of cardio-pulmonary exercises (breathing exercises) after your strength training, for at least three times a week.
7. Reduce calories, don’t starve yourself, fat is an emergency storage for your body. If you do not eat well, your body will hold the fat and burn muscles, and finally, all your efforts will go in vain.

Hope this answers your query.