Low B12 levels, elevated triglyceride level. Eat fish occasionally and egg regularly. What do you recommend?

my b12 level in serum by ECLIA is 100.6 & triglyceride is 362. i m generally vegeterian with intake of fish once a week & egg almost 10 in a a week. my age is 42 male, height 164 cm & weight 58 kg. what do u reccommend me
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 22 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions - Low B12 levels and elevated Triglyceride levels.

Yes, you have 2 situations in here. Firstly, you need a boost of the B12 level which is quite possible by foods XXXXXXX in it. No doubt, vegetarian food has low level, but greens and nuts will do. Not necessarily from liver source.

Triglyceride levels is way beyond those which can be corrected through lifestyle. You would need medications like fibrates. The choice will be decided on the basis of your medical history by the doctor upon prescription. Two years is lot of time, and you do not seem to have corrected these levels by maintaining diet and exercise.

Moreover your hypothyroidism does affect lipid profile over long term.

So, you would need prescription medicine for now. Consult your primary physician who can prescribe the medications for your good health.

Meanwhile, continue your good lifestyle. Curtail egg yolk for now. You can have fish, and greens.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Low B12 levels, elevated triglyceride level. Eat fish occasionally and egg regularly. What do you recommend? 1 hour later
is low b12 & elevated triglyceride related to each other or are independent of each other. does so low b12 levels require b12 supplement in form of tablets or injection
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

No, B12 and Triglyceride levels are independent of each other. Vitamin B12 is a water soluble vitamin and Triglycerides are composed of fatty constituents.

Yes, B12 supplementation in the form cobalamine injections provide the best method of getting back the levels. They need to be taken on alternate days over a period, your doctor should be able to guide further on this. Tablets also are fine, but needs long duration of therapy. Moreover, oral tablets are not useful in case of intrinsic factor deficiencies. (A condition with the stomach in some Vitamin B12 deficient individuals.)

I would advise you to consult the doctor soon.

Wish you good health.