Loud heart pulse,problem sleeping

Cardiologist, Interventional
Iam 23 years old woman and i have a problem with my ears.
when i sleep on the sides i hear always my heart pulse but i do not think it is normal cuase it is to loud and i cant sleep good becuase of it.
what is the problem and what should i do?

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It would be better if you could answer some of my questions here. This would help me in answering your question better.

1) How long have you been having these symptoms?
2) Do you hear the pulse beats in both your ears or only in one ear?
3) Is it the same on lying down on both sides or is there a difference?
4) Is there any feeling of stuffiness in any/both ear(s)?
5) Do you hear any other sound in the ears (ringing sensation, etc)?
6) Are you aware of any feeling of palpitations in your chest, does your heartbeat go too fast or too slow?

Most probably, this could be due to 'ear-related problem' like wax in the ear, middle ear congestion, otitis media, otitis externa, etc.

A thorough ENT examination is necessary. I suggest you to consider consulting ENT specialist. You may need few simple tests to confirm the diagnosis.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Follow-up: Loud heart pulse,problem sleeping 4 hours later

1. I had these symptoms since i was 7 Years old.
2. Yeah, i hear it in both ears.
3. Yeah, it is the same on both sides.
4. i have this feeling just sometimes.
5. No, but maybe 1 time in the year i hear a peeeeeeeeeps.
6. No, in the chest I dont hear anything just in my ears when I sleep on the sides.

wish you have a nice day...
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 11 hours later
Thank you for the clarifications.

From your answers, it is evident that you have "pulsatile tinnitus". This is just a medical descriptive term for your symptoms. It is quite common. Basically, you are being aware of the blood flow of vessels in your head, neck and ear.

There are a lot of causes for this symptom.

Ear infections, wax in the ear, middle ear effusion, exposure to loud music through earphones, sinusitis, allergies of nose/throat, secondary to some drugs, anemia, thyroid disease, rare causes like blockage in arteries/veins(not likely at your age), some ear disorders like Meniere's disease, some neurologic causes like benign intracranial hypertension, vasculitis, etc etc.........

The list is long, but it is easy to diagnose or exclude many of them with simple investigations.

I would suggest that you XXXXXXX an ENT specialist who will evaluate you clinically, and then do some tests including hearing tests, and imaging of the ear/brain/neck vessels.

Further treatment will depend on the exact cause found out. There is effective treatment for the majority of conditions that cause this symptom.

I hope this answer clarifies your query. Feel free to get back to me for any further health-related queries.

Thank you,
Dr RS Varma