Loss of cartilage in neck and progressive stabbing pain in hips. What could be the problem?

for a month i began having severe lower leg cramps, stabbing pains, which progressed to pain in my hips. there has been a warm rash periodically. now my whole body is tender and painful to pressure, and the skin has become indented with cellulite? i do have loss of cartilage in my neck and hips, and a large impingement of my shoulder. i also have vericose veins quite pronounced. i am a 64 year old female. i do yoga and tai chi and light weight bearing exercise daily. i am 5'5" and now weigh 155 lbs. i have osteoporosis and arthritis in my fingers and other joints. any ideas?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibilities:Polymyositis+Dermatomyositis or MCTD Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. From the information provided by you, the possible causes of your problems are :- * Leg cramps and pains in the lower limbs are apparently due to osteoporosis leading to vertebral collapse/spinal stenosis and thereby causing compression over the spinal cord or the emerging nerves. * Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) :- that is, co-existence of features of several connective tissue disorders such as : - Rheumatoid arthritis (arthritis of fingers and other joints); - Polymyositis (involvement of muscles, causing muscle cramps, pains and painful to touch/pressure) with, - Dermatomyositis (generalized rashes, tenderness of whole body, thickened skin- indented and cellulitis-like appearance); - Scleroderma (generalized thickening of skin with cellulitis-like appearance, tenderness to pressure). * Systemic Lupus Erythematosus You will require to undergo several tests in order to reach to a definite diagnosis. Hence, consult your doctor, preferably a Rheumatologist, and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal