Loose pubic hair stuck in vagina during sex. Will this come out without causing infection?

Question
I had sex with my wife during which some of my loose pubic hairs probably got stuck in her vagina. Do they come out again without causing an infection? I don't think she knows about it.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 18 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns.

Usually, this should not be a cause of infection since the surface of her perineum (genital area) also has hair follicles, and usually the skin has a typical set of colonizing bacteria. Unless it is truly a "ball of hair" like a bezoar, impacted deep in the vaginal canal, should not create a problem. If she develops, abnormal discharge, itching, burning, discomfort or pain, then she would need a visit to a doctor for a pelvic exam.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN