Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Looking information on intestinal spider parasites

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Question
Please tell me where I can find info on intestinal spider parasites
Email YYYY@YYYY
Thank you
I have seen something in the toilet after I have had a BM, about 8 different times. The legs were red! This is gross.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in General Health
 
 
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The spider can not remain alive in the intestine and so can not be a parasite there because it never learnt to live there.
A spider needs oxygen in the air to survive and there is no chance of a spider being a parasite in the gut due to this simple reason.
May be you mistook some stool content as spider.
If you have a doubt of parasite in intestine then they can easily be detected by stool sample microscopic examination.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: Looking information on intestinal spider parasites 42 hours later
The answer I received from the doctor did not take into consideration that there are intestinal spider parasites. I have personally held one that came out of my feces; I picked it up from the toilet with a piece of tissue and looked at it fairly carefully. It had several legs that were red. It is gross to think that I have such a thing inside my body. Over the last several months I have seen about 7 or 8 of these in the toilet (one at a time). This type of parasite is acknowledged on the Internet in several places. Most articles say the spider parasite has black or brown legs; I did find one article that said the legs could also be XXXXXXX or red. I have not yet tried to verify the creditials of the authors but at least one had a PhD in Nutrition. I understand that this parasite is not the same as the normal spider we see around the house.

I have not been able to find any information about this parasite that tells how it is acquired or how to get rid of it.

Thank you for your help.

XXXXXXX
 
 
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
madam I have strongly considered your concern but the possibility of spider is remote.
I have checked medical resources and talked to my Microbiologist colleague.
All sources say only one thing that a spider is an arachnid insect and can not survive/infect human gut.
I think you have seen some thing else may be a bit of parasite- like the proglottid of a tape worm and mistook it for a spider.
If you still think it is a spider, next time get a close photo graph and send it in attachment to the query to me.
It is also advisable that you should take the sample to a Microbiologist in your locality lab and get it examined there. Also get the stool examined to detect any other parasite in the stool.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Follow-up: Looking information on intestinal spider parasites 9 hours later
What I am finding in my feces is not a spider. It just looks like a spider. There are quite a few articles on the internet that list this look-alike as one type of intestinal parasite. I just cannot find out how people obtain this parasite and how to get rid of it. I did not mention previously that I have had a bout with roundworms and was treated with albendazole. It was sometime after this treatment that I first saw this peculiar thing in the toilet. I have low immunity to help protect me from parasites or other types of illnesses. My physician says that is most likely the reason I am susceptible to obtaining parasites. She does not know the details about this parasite. Thanks for all your efforts.
XXXXXXX
 
 
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
I think you are getting them from some of the contacts in the daily life or from vegetables.
Small children continue to put their fingers in mouth and infect themselves and thus are potential reservoir. If you happen to be exposed to small babies at home/work you might be contracting it from there, you should treat them as well to limit the reservoir.
Another thing do not eat outside, even if you eat eat boiled things but never the salad and fruits.
Once I had a patient of neurocysticercosis who worked as a helper cook in a five star hotel, he used to eat lot of salad in the hotel kitchen. When I asked him he told the processing of food as risky and unhygienic.
So may be you are having it from world class services.
wash the home salad and fruit twice using liberal amount of water.
And try to get the stool sample tested.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor