Liver function test showed ALT - 38, AST - 30 and gamma GT 70. What dose this indicate?

Dear Doctor, I've done a Liver Function Test 2 years ago. ALT - 38, AST - 30 and Gamma GT 70. I've also done a blood test. Dyserythropoietic changes present. Suggestive of Iron Deficiency and/or Thalassaemia Trait. I'm 28 this year, height 1.74m, weight 60kg.What does this indicate?
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
Hi there,

I would like to know why the tests were done to get the background of issues.

The liver tests do appear normal and may not need any further evaluation, unless any other issue like jaundice exists.

Other blood tests may need a bone marrow aspiration biopsy and a hemoglobin electrophoresis to confirm dyserythropoesis and thalassemia respectively. These two are disorders of blood formation and may warrant repeated blood transfusions. It can be transmitted to children.

You may discuss with your local hematologist for definitive plan of therapy. A hemoglobin level could have been worthwhile along with those reports.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Liver function test showed ALT - 38, AST - 30 and gamma GT 70. What dose this indicate? 1 hour later

Thank you for the explanation.

It was a routine check up since I have discounted rate from my company.

After reading a bit of HIV articles online, I am worried that these are symptoms of HIV.

Below are my blood test result.

Haemoglobin - 13.8 g/dL
Red cell count - 6.6 x10^12/L
Total White cell count - 7.7 x10^9/L
PCV - 0.44
MCV - 67 fL
MCH - 21 pg
MCHC - 32 g/dL
RDW - 18.2%

Do you need other details like Neutrophils, Lymphocytes etc?

Can you tell me more about these results? What does it mean?

Thank you in advance for your explanation.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
These reports are near normal.… you may not need further tests unless you have other problems. HIV is diagnosed by ELISA test or Western blot or PCR test for HIV 1 and HIV2.
Please let me know if they have mentioned any else in given report.