Liver function test SGPT high. On tonact tg and heptral 400 mg.Can both drugs be taken together without any side effects?

Jan 2013

Hi, I have enhanced triglycerides level in the range of 560. All other tests are normal. In liver function test SGPT is high at 68. My cardiologist has prescribed me drug TONACT TG (atorvastatin 10mg + fenofibrate 160mg) for 6months. He also refered me to Gastroentologist for high SGPT. The Gastroentologist has prescribed me HEPTRAL 400Mg (2 times daily) for 45days. I want to know, can both the drugs be taken together without any side effects?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 38 minutes later

1) Heptral contains Ademetionine (a coenzyme), also known as S-Adenosyl methionine (SAM). XXXXXXX is produced by the body and is also found in the body tissues.

2) It is used as an antioxidant which helps to prevent cancer, heart diseases etc. It is also used to treat depression, liver disease, relieves from general pain and pain in osteoarthritis. It has anti-oxidant, regenerative, anti-fibrosis property.

3) Heptral is generally indicated to treat the liver conditions.

4) Heptral is safe for most people. It can sometimes cause gas, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, dry mouth, headache, mild insomnia, anorexia, sweating, dizziness, and nervousness, especially at higher doses. It can make some people with depression feel anxious.

5) Medication written by your cardiologist for deranged lipid profile is essential for you. This will prevent further risk of developing cardiac disease. Deranged lipid profile (increased LDL & TG, decreased HDL) is one of defined major risk factor.

6) Taking Atorvastatin with Fenofibrate may cause liver damage (up to 3%). While use of Heptral along with Atorvastatin will prevent effect of lipid lowering drugs on liver. So you can use both advised medicine safely

Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Liver function test SGPT high. On tonact tg and heptral 400 mg.Can both drugs be taken together without any side effects? 13 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for the reply. I wanted to know, is the dose of HEPTRAL - 400mg twice daily okay or is it high dose? I am a working professional and office timings are 9am to 6pm. Taking TONACT TG creates slight stomach upset so the doctor has adviced to take in the evening.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 hours later

1) Tablet Heptral is newly launched medicine in Indian market. As such no studies are available regarding dosing schedule. You should consult with your primary treating gastroenterologist.

2) Tonact-TG contains Atorvastatin which inhibits HMG CoA reductase enzyme. This enzyme is active during night time, so its better to take Tablet Tonact-TG at sleeping time.

Hope this will sole your query.

Best regards

Dr. Mayank Bhargava