Liquid oozing from ear. Using alcohol to clean it, put triple antibiotic ointment on it. Not cured. What to do?
User rating for this question
I have a clear liquid peeking from the outer area of my ear. Can't seem to clear it up. At night the wound crusts over in a really thick crust that I have to put Vaseline on it to clean it up. Then it starts oozing all day. I'm constantly cleaning it. Been using alcohol to clean it out. Then I put like this for about a month. Never going away. Please help. Went to the Doctors about 9 or 10 days ago, they told me to put steroid creme on it. Did this for a week. Nothing!
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 59 minutes later
Thanks for the query
You seem to be suffering from inflammation of the external ear (otitis externa). This can be chronic or eczematous or seborrhoeic otitis externa, which can be confirmed only after physical examination. Also, we need to rule out a small perforated ear drum, which can give rise to this condition.
As the discharge is not subsiding with steroid cream or triple antibiotic cream, you need to get back to your doctor and request for culture and sensitivity of the aural swab.
My suggestion to you is to clean the external ear with the warm saline to remove the crusts completely. Try using ear drops consisting of combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone, this will give excellent relief. Ear drops should be started only after the aural swab has been taken for culture and sensitivity.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
People also viewed
- Swollen blister in my mouth and it excruciating pain
- Triple antibiotic ointment ear infection
- Sticky stuff in ear
- Is it advisable to take levofloxacin during cystitis
- What is triple antibiotic ointment
- Use triple antibiotic ointment in ears
- White waxy substance in ears
- What is the best interpretation for the urine sample
- Triple antibiotic ointment uses
- Ear wax to treat a stye
- Equate triple antibiotic ointment uses
- Can radiation therapy cause a temporary increase in bp
- Swollen vein under ear
- Why a white substance in the ear
- How can obesity be treated