Lipid profile test done. Belly started coming out. Diet, cure and precaution to be taken?

Jun 2015

Dear Sir, My age 51 yrs, Male, height 164 cms, Weight 64 Kg. My Cholestrol-170, Triglycerides-216, HDL-36, LDL-90.8 and VLDL-43.2, Triglycderide/HDL ratio-6.00. BMI is 23.79. I am not fat, but belly is started coming out. It measures 90 cm. I don't smoke or use alcohol. My job is office work and I doesn't do exercises. Pse give advice
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 55 minutes later

The tests such as Total cholesterol, LDL, HDL are grouped as lipid profile tests, which determine the risk of coronary heart disease in an individual.
The results of the lipid profile are considered along with other known risk factors of heart disease to develop a plan of treatment and follow-up.

The values of Total cholesterol & LDL as mentioned in your post are essentially within normal limits, but the levels of HDL can be considered below normal. (Low HDL is defined as a level less than 40 mg/dl)
Also the level of Triglycerides & Triglycderide/HDL ratio are on the higher side.
(Normal Triglyceride level is less than 150 mg/dl & Normal Triglycderide/HDL ratio is less than 2)

This can be a reason of studies have shown that an individual has increased risk for heart disease or stroke if HDL is low, even if the LDL or total cholesterol is well controlled.

Measures to increase HDL & reduce Triglyceride includes:

1. Lifestyle & diet modifications: such as regular exercise, reduced consumption of carbohydrates, increase consumption of omega-3 fatty acids (such as fish oil) & a diet enriched with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, olive oil, and legumes is associated with increased HDL.
2. Medications: such as Fibrates, Niacin, Omega-3 fatty acid supplements.

But they should always be consumed under the guidance of a Doctor to avoid their unwanted side effects.

Though your BMI is within normal limits, the coming out of belly can be attributed to abnormal distribution of fat due to sedentary lifestyle & lack of exercise.

However, the results of Lipid profile should always be considered along with a detailed history & physical examination.
Conclusions should not be drawn only on the basis of laboratory reports.
So, it will be better to consult a Cardiologist & get a proper physical examination done.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.