Lipid profile states 247 cholesterol, 259 triglycerides. Prescribed Adocor. Safe?

Dear Dr. My lipid profile states 247 cholesterol. .259 triglycerides and etc.. I take lot fruits. I m a tennis player for 1.5hrs daily.
dr advised me to take Adocor F. is it safe and for how long. necessary diet changes I have done.
Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to XXXXXXX

Your cholesterol levels are deranged. LDL is a bad cholesterol, our aim should be to keep LDL cholesterol lower than 130.Triglyceride levels should be less than 150.

Its good thing that you are physically active. Try to follow the dietary restriction along with exercise & your cholesterol levels will surely improve. You can continue this medicine which your doctor has prescribed along with these dietary suggestions.

For increased cholesterol, kindly make this a routine in your daily lifestyle.

- Take High fiber diet. Include salads, fruits in diet.
- Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acid in diet like walnut, flaxseed, olive oil.
- Garlic & curry leaves also help to decrease cholesterol.
- Decrease intake of oil & fat in diet. Avoid eating fried food, Maida products. Try to consume steamed or grilled food items if possible.
- If you are non vegetarian than include oily fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna in our diet. They are XXXXXXX in omega 3 which helps to reduce cholesterol. Avoid shelled fish like prawns; crab they are high in cholesterol. Avoid red meat, but you can consume chicken. You can have egg white, better to avoid egg yolk.
- Eat small frequent 6 meals in a day. Limit the portion size. Eat dinner two hours before sleeping.

- Daily exercise of 30 minutes. You can do which ever form of exercise which you like & enjoy. Since you are a tennis player that is very good form of exercise.
Follow all this for 3 month & repeat cholesterol levels after 3 month. Your cholesterol levels will surely be back to normal.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.
Follow-up: Lipid profile states 247 cholesterol, 259 triglycerides. Prescribed Adocor. Safe? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Since one week I have started taking supplements of ayurvedic , garlic juice, green tea, flax seed, isabgol (Psyllym husk) guggul powder, and that allopath medicine. My question is upto when I have to take that allopath medicine.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 13 minutes later
Its very good that you have already made the dietary changes. This will help you to bring the cholesterol levels back to normal faster.
Repeat your cholesterol blood test after 3 months. If levels are high you need to continue medicines. If the cholesterol values come to normal than the dose of medicines can be decreased or even stopped based on your future blood test report. You need to follow the diet restrictions life long in order to prevent further increase in cholesterol level.
How long you need to take medicines is in your hands, if you strictly follow all instruction than you can stop medicines within 3-6 months.
I hope I have answered your query. Don't worry, your doctor has given you right advise. Take care.