Lightheadedness on bed. What causes this? Not enough oxygen or blood to brain? Get myself checked?

Hello there,

For the last 2 nights when changing positions in bed, I have experienced light headness. What causes this? It feels like I am not getting enough oxygen or blood to the brain. I suspect I should go get this checked out. I am drinking water now. I am 56 years old.
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Light headedness is a typical symptom when there is decreased blood supply to the brain even in normal individuals due to influences by natural vasocontrictors in the body or in dehydration.Such symptoms usually disappear when in lying down position and is presented more during standing position.

Since in you the symptoms appeared even in lying down position I see there is need to be tested as there may be a obstruction.Carotid Doppler is one test which checks the blood supply to the brain.Do go for it along with a 2D ECHO test for the heart to see whether the heart is pumping with enough force for the blood to reach head, against the gravity.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.