Lightheaded, dizzy, blurry vision, not pregnant. What could be causing this?

Hi, I am a 21 year old female-and lately I get lightheaded. Sometimes very dizzy-I was walking down the street one day,and fell down because I was that dizzy.Usually I am not THAT dizzy,I just get a little lightheaded.Also,I have noticed that my eyesight is not as great as it used to be.It is still really good,but sometimes it gets a little blurry. What could be causing this?I am not pregnant,and I am in good physical condition-I run 4 times a week.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later

Thanks for consulting us.

This is good to know that you are in good physical condition & run 4 times a week.

There could be many things responsible for your present problem.
- A Low Blood Pressure is a very common cause, so, get it checked up.
- Some girls do excessive dieting to stay in shape. This sometimes may lead to complains like yours.
- Have you ever checked your Haemoglobin concentration? As anaemia is a very common cause of this problem. Your menstrual history may prove to be very relevant in this case.
- Do you drink alcohol? Are you on any drugs? There are many drugs which have similar side effects and there use may need to be re-evaluated if these are causing so much trouble.

Your vision problem may have contributed to this symptom. So at the earliest see an eye specialist and receive the corrective treatment. It may improve your symptoms.

Lastly, I suggest you get a general health check up with a Specialist Physician; as possible diagnoses in your case can be shortlisted by a clinical assessment of your history, examination and with relevant investigations.

Hope I have provided you with a general guideline for how to proceed in your case. More information will come into vision after your physician visit.
If you like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me again.
I will be glad to answer any question from you.

Hope you get well soon.