Licked finger that was exposed to mosquito repellent. Having burning sensation in tongue. What can be done?

General Surgeon
hi doctor.. i just licked my finger which was exposed to mosiquito repelent liquid. it is giving me burning sensation on my tongue
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If it was just a lick, nothing wrong will happen. Tongue is equipped with taste. And the taste is a first barrier against unwanted foods and substances. This protects us from swallowing it. And as the tongue can sense the taste, it can get easily irritated. Most likely mosquito repellent has caused superficial irritation or burn of the tongue.

I suggest you to rinse your mouth with water and leave it alone so the tongue can get healed. Saliva contains special growing factors so every wound or burning in the mouth gets healed much quicker than any other wound. So the burning should be gone until tomorrow.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.