Level of cotinine in cleveland clinic test for urine?

Dec 2014

what level of cotinine does the cleveland clinic test for in urine? Meaning what's the threshold of passing/failing in ng/mL??
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Cotinine test is an immunoassay test for the detection of Nicotine in urine. It is a simple test with high sensitivity and comparatively low specificity.

It can detect nicotine for unto 4-5 days of smoking cigarette.

The threshold for passing/failing test is 200 ng/ml of nicotine. Levels of nicotine below this can't be detected in urine by cotinine test. It is a standard test and the threshold levels are same across all labs.

Hope it helps you.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD (Consultant Psychiatrist)
Follow-up: Level of cotinine in cleveland clinic test for urine? 2 minutes later
I have purchased the following cotinine test: WWW.WWWW.WW
I was recently a smokeless tobacco user and took this test - I showed up negative on this after a week of non tobacco use. I have to take an employment test soon and they will be testing me for cotinine. Should I feel comfortable about passing this? It's through the Cleveland Clinic.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 8 minutes later
Welcome again

The test mentioned in the link also has sensitivity of 200 ng/ml. You have not taken nicotine since last 7 days so the test will show negative result. Be assured you will definitely test negative in pre employment testing. Don't take tobacco again. The standard screening tests are same in most of pre employment checkups. Best wishes for your job.