Left side chest pain when crying. Why?

Left side chest pain when crying
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Radhika 21 minutes later

As I believe that more information can help a physician help you better, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Since how long are you experiencing this? Is this related to any kind of stress that you have been experiencing? Is it related to any physical exertion?
2. Have you tested for cholesterol level?
3. When was the last time your blood pressure was checked? Was it high on any occasion?
4. Do you have diabetes or any other medical disorder?
5. Does the pain radiate to your jaws, hands shoulders etc..?
6. Have any investigations like an electrocardiogram or an echocardiogram been done for you?
7. Do you have a history of depression or you are currently taking medication for the disorder?

The chest pain can arise from a variety of causes like ischemia, stress, costochondritis, a problem in the lung or a problem in the abdomen.
When it is caused by stress, it would be accompanied by muscle tightness, increased heart rate, abnormal stomach activity and shortness of breath.
However, if you are having repeated episodes of crying, I would suggest that you consult your psychiatrist and report these episodes. Perhaps a change in the dose or a change in the medication is warranted.
I would also suggest the following:
•     Try and meditate. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga. Always be surrounded by your close friends and family.
•     Avoid smoking.
•     Learn new hobbies to keep yourself occupied.

I would suggest that you see a physician if the pain persists and is associated with exertion.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Should you have any more concerns, I am available to address them