Left shoulder pain, tingling in both hands, headache, breathing difficulty. Have asthma. Due to stress or low potassium?

I woke from a XXXXXXX sleep with left shoulder pain, tingling in both hands and what I can only explain as a very strange, very XXXXXXX and pressured heart beat. I had no shortness of breath, sweating etc. just the initial symptoms. I initially thought it was a panic attack and focused on my breathing, which wasn't short or labored (despite the fact that I do have asthma so would know if there was a change). I then wondered if if was gas so got up and moved around, which changed nothing. Symptoms last for about 15 minutes and then gradually eased. I fell back to sleep and woke up tired but otherwise okay. Since then I've had periodic dizzy spells that don't last long but definitely are significant enough for me to take notice. I've also had a noticable increase in headaches.
Should I worry or can I attribute these symptoms to stress or low potassium?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is difficult to conclude from this description.
It is advisable to have yourself investigated - especially the heart.

You should see an Internist.
A thorough history and physical examination is the first step -
ECG (Electrocardiogram / EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination.
HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) may be necessary to look for an arrhythmia...if a routine ECG does not show,
ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).
LABORATORY work-up is routine - like cardiac markers, blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes, and so on.

Your Internist shall suggest based on the situation.
If not conclusive, you may need a neurological examination

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck