Left arm, shoulder pain. On painkillers. ECG, blood pressure normal. Symptoms related to heart disease?

my left arm and shoulder is paining since last two days. what could be the reasons? Age: 36yrs weight: 57 kgs
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing overhead activity and hence pain due to overuse.
This is commonly found in people who do activities like swimming, tennis, baseball, badminton, paper hanging, construction, or painting.

It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply hot compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Left arm, shoulder pain. On painkillers. ECG, blood pressure normal. Symptoms related to heart disease? 12 hours later
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.
My chest was paining a day ago after which the pain started. i just got an ECG done today morning and everything was normal. My blood pressure is also normal. they gave me some painkillers for my hand and shoulder pain, but also asked me to see a Cardiologist just to rule out any heart disease. Do you think it the pain would be related to my heart though the ECG result is normal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
ECG results are not the surest indicator of absence of a cardiac problem. In case the pain subsides with the pain killers given to you along with hot fomentation, then most likely the pain is due to tendonitis.
If the pain is not relieved then you must consult a cardiologist for further investigations to rule out any cardiac problem.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.