Laundry bleach splashed into eye. Will this cause any damage?

Jun 2015

Hello, i was doing laundry and a small fleck of bleach splashed into my eye. It burned a little I put some systanr artificial tears in to wash it out. Drill this cause damage?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Laundry bleach is a chlorine based chemical which is alkaline in nature.

Chemical injury is considered a medical emergency.
The eye tissues being very delicate may get seriously damaged due to its exposure.
The pain & burning sensation may persist depending upon the amount & potency of the chemical (bleaching agent).

Thorough eye wash has to be given so that there is no residual chemical in the eyes & it is appreciable that you put some artificial tear drop to wash it out. Further management depends on the extent of injury & amount of limbal ischemia.

So, it will be better to consult an Ophthalmologist & get a proper examination done.
Based upon that appropriate management steps could be taken.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.