Large red sore ring under armpit that is easily irritated. What could it be and its cure?

I have a large red ring under my armpit. It is very sore. It burns and is easily irritated. I recently switched deodorant and I have been working out fairly heavily (lots of sweat). What could it be and what's the best over the counter treatment?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 31 minutes later

Thanks for your query
I understand your concern and i hope i will be able to help you for the same.

I have seen the attached picture. There is something that i would like to know from you. First is whether there is any associated itching or is it just sore and painful.
Second is regarding the onset and progression of the lesion ie did it just appear overnight or was it smaller in size earlier and slowly increased in size over days.
And are there similar lesions anywhere over rest of the body also.

Looking at the attached picture, there are two possibilities that i can suggest. First is tinea axillaris which is fungal infection of the axilla and the second possibility is that of vector dermatitis which is an allergic reaction to an insect bite. Probably a detailed history from you can make it easy to reach a diagnosis

Waiting for your reply

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Large red sore ring under armpit that is easily irritated. What could it be and its cure? 8 hours later
It does not itch it is just sore. I think it was an overnight thing. I do have a smaller similar one on my other armpit. It is about the size of a quarter. How can I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later

Since it was an overnight thing, it goes more in favor of vector dermatitis i.e., an insect bite.
Firstly, clean all your beddings once, to get rid of any bugs.
You should avoid the use of any deodorants or perfumes for the time being as it can further aggravate the lesion.
You need to keep the area clean and dry and apply a steroid -antibiotic combination cream over the affected area twice a day. Use it for at least 4-5 days. You can take an antihistamine like benadryl orally twice a day to relieve the burning sensation.

Wear cotton clothes in order to decrease sweating and to decrease the irritation.

Hope it helps

If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul