Large, raised blotches on upper thighs and waist, stuffy nose. Given Benedryl, Claritin. Causes?

My son has large raised blotches on his upper thighs and around his waist. The first one was itchy, now they are not. He has a couple of small ones on his upper back too. I've put Benadryl cream on them and they clear up but new ones are appearing. He has developed a stuffy nose overnight. I just gave him Clairitin. He has no known allergies and was recently tested for common allergens.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome to health care magic.
From your history and description, your son seems to be having urticaria.
It presents with raised blotchy rashes which are transient , which disappear and reappear elsewhere (as in your son' s case). They fade without leaving a XXXXXXX It could be secondary to the cold which he had. In children, the most common cause of urticaria is an upper respiratory infection which is of viral origin.
You could continue to administer the antihistamine once or twice a day. Topically, you could use a calamine based lotion which will have a soothing effect.
It usually subsides in 3-5 days.
Hope this helped you.