Large bump appeared on knee cap, noticed bruise around bumps. What could be going on?

Hello, I'm writing for my dad. A large bump/knot suddenly appeared below his knee cap. There is signs of brusing on and around the bump. He does not remember hitting this part of leg hard enough to cause this sudden large bump/knot. Do you know what could be going on?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your father most likely has a haematoma which could be due to unintended trauma, medications or some other disorder. In order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. IS your father receiving any medication?
b. Does he have any other illness ?
c. Does he use alcohol? If yes, how much?
d. Does he have any other symptoms?
e. Does he have any pain in the legs or feet?

Awaiting your reply