Laparoscopy done. Trying to conceive. Taking siphene and gmh 75 mg injection. Safe to drink alcohol?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor,

I am a 31 year old woman who had undergone laproscopy last year to remove ovarian cysts also showing signs of endometriosis.

Trying to conceive since this past few months. I have been getting my periods at an avergae of 29 days. When my periods start every month my gyno has prescribed the Siphene 50 mg tablets from 2nd day of period followed by GMH75 mg injectionon 6th day, follicular study from 7th -12th day. Based on the results of study at times have taken the HCG injection as well. Then from 15th-20th day am asked to consume Duphastone. This is the regular treatment i have been undergoing past few months after the operation. This is just to give background on my health-

My main question is when taking these tablets or injection -
Will consumption of hard drinks(that have alcohol) cause an issue. I ask because last month had to attend a social meeting and I had 2 cocktails while being on siphene 50 mg tablets. So now am worried and want to know if consuming drinks have any adverse impact while trying to conceive especially with such medication ?

My main concern is to know if I should completely avoid alcohol consumption?
My understanding is once you conceive we should be of any drinks alcoholic or beverages. But under my current circumstance when we are trying to conceive and have these medications for about 10 days in a month - will having drinks during this period be an issue for conceiving?
When taking these medications and injection should alcohol strictly be avoided. Thinking these are hormonal medication my understanding is that alcholol will not affect. However I want to be sure if not..
Thank you for your time
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to our XXXXXXX platform. I am trying to give answer to your queries.

It is best advisable to restrict certain activities like smoking, hard drinking (alcoholic beverage), heavy exercise or non-prescribed medication/ drugs while you are trying to conceive or under treatment/ medication of infertility and obviously you completely stop taking those immediately after confirmation of pregnancy.

But, there is no as such reason or evidence whether consumption of light drink in pre-conceptional period can affect on using medications. If you are a social drinker, then you may continue to take during ovulation induction also. Concurrent intake of alcohol and those medication is better to be avoided for well absorption. 2-3 alcoholic beverage per week is quite acceptable.

You should not drink any alcoholic beverage during ovulation time or fertile periods to get successful conception.

You must maintain a healthy life style by following measures:

1) take balanced nutritious diet with vitamin & folc acid supplements.
2) drink plenty of water/ juice to stay hydrated, eat more vegetables & dry fruits.
3) avoid stress/ tension/ depression by regular breathing exercise or use relaxation technique.
4) maintain personal hygiene and take a sound sleep.

Hope, this information is very much sufficient and helpful to you.If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Wish your good health & successful pregnancy.

Dr Soumen