Laparoscopic appendectomy done. Noticed red, itchy streak across belly. Feeling nauseous. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I had a laprascopic appendectomy last monday and now i have this very thick, wide looking red, itchy streak that stretches from my biggest incision to right across my's itchy to touch.I was also feeling feverish, nauseous and was throwing up and couldn't keep anything down the last 2 days. That went away yesterday morning but now i'm starting to feel nauseous and like i want to be sick again. And i don't know if the red, itchy streak is a result of my surgical wound or if it's a result of my shorts being on too tight.i've been trying to wear loose fitting shorts that won't be too tight around my belly
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later

The itchy streak could be a local reaction to any local applications or to the dressing material

Regarding your nausea and vomiting there are chances it could be drug induced gastritis which we commonly find in patients on post operative antibiotics and analgesics

I would suggest you take a proton pump inhibitor along with domperidone twice a day and avoid fermented and junk food

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead