LAD blocked. Advised PTCA. How soon it should be done?

Cardiac Surgeon
Dear Sirs

My mother who is 73 year old underwent CAG as pre op evalution due to previous IHD status. Coronary angiogram revealed 99% mid LAD stenosis and hence advised PTCA few days back. would you able to advice me the how serious is mid LAD 99% block means and how soon should i get PTCA done for her. Also the hospital gave me a estimate of 3 lakhs as price of 4th generation stent that they want to implant during PTCA. Will it cost that much. can you provide some reference links to know cost of stent

Warm Regards
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 54 minutes later
LAD is the main coronary artery supplying blood to the heart. More than 75% block is significant narrowing which causes less blood flowing to the left ventricle. Left ventricle is the one chamber which is very much required for the pumping action of the heart. 99% block is a critical narrowing. The chances of heart attack(myocardial infarction) is more in this condition. PTCA is definitely a suitable option. Sooner is better. Till she gets the procedure done she should be on strict proper medication as advised by the cardiologist which will contain some blood thinning medications. This will prevent heart attacks to some extent. If she gets chest pain any time, it is better to consult cardiologist soon.
There are various stents available in the market. Medicated stents are better but costlier. Estimated costs varies from hospital to hospital but the quoted one is reasonable. You can check online about some of the products.
I wish good health for your mother.