Knuckle pads on fingers. Are they a permanent condition and what treatment is available?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Why are Knuckle pads permanent once one has developed on finger?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Knuckle pads are benign, asymptomatic skin colored papules developing on the small joint of fingers most commonly due to repetitive minor trauma related to sports or occupation or faulty habits like biting and sucking of fingers. It may also be idiopathic i.e. of unknown cause or genetic.

There is usually no pain associated with it. There are various treatment modalities medication and surgery but both are ineffective if the causative trauma or habit is not removed.

Medication includes topical application of salicylic acid solution or other keratolytics. Sometimes intralesional injections are given by some doctors for decreasing the size and severity. In extreme cases surgical removal is tried but it has complications and can't guarantee cure. Actually no treatment can guarantee a cure for knuckle pads, sometimes they may resolve without any treatment just by removing the cause or sometimes they remain the same for indefinite time period.

Now in your case, if the knuckle pad is associated with pain or is increasing in size, you should consult your dermatologist who can thoroughly examine it, if necessary carry out some investigation like biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and then treat accordingly.

Please do not self medicate as it may not be effective and might cause more harm than relief. Some people can live with knuckle pads without any complications but just a cosmetic concern.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.