Knocked by dogs and fell unconscious. Confirmed as broken collar bone

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my two dogs (too hundred pounds) tripped me in in my garage. they knocked me over, and knocked me unconconcious. this this happened on July 29.I went to the hospital and they confirmed a broken collar bone
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for Clavicle Fracture is Conservative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

In General, the treatment for a fractured collar bone (Clavicle) is by conservative means by way of applying a CLAVICLE BRACE. This bone inevitably unites within 6-8 weeks of immobilization in a brace.

You are not supposed to do any overhead activities (till the fracture unites) which displaces the fracture ends and may result in nonunion of the fracture.

Take daily regular calcium supplements till the fracture unites, which can be confirmed by taking Xrays.

Clavicle fractures will heal uneventfully and functional outcomes are excellent after fracture union.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further