Knee replacement done. Facing walking difficulty and lump appeared on foot. How to cure this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a orthopedist problem. I had my knee replased three times in 5 years and each time my right foot turned outward now I can hardly walk my right hip is all messed up I also have a lump on my right foot due to the way I walk. I'm in constant severe pain. Please help me what is causing this pain. How can I fix it. Does my knee need replaced already knee makes noises sounds like it pops in and out.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Sorry to know that your knee replaced three times in 5 years.As you had said that your right foot turned outwards after every knee replacement, there might be a possibility that the replaced implant placed in slight more external rotation(outwards). There might be other possibility that you have valgus(flat) feet.
The presence of valgus feet can cause overpronation, which causes altered biomechanics at the knee and hip and causes these problems and pain.

I suggest you to try special shoe inserts and arch supports (orthotics) for valgus foot.The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities.You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription orthopaedic surgeon and get a new X-ray done to see any effects of altered biomechenics due to valgus(outward) foot.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Knee replacement done. Facing walking difficulty and lump appeared on foot. How to cure this? 2 hours later
My orthopedist that did my knee replacement told me he had to put my knee in crooked in order for it to work. Can you tell me what does this mean? Does it mean my knee is put in wrong and And messed up? Please I need help. Why is my hip so messed up? I can't sit straight. I can hardly walk' my right foot turns outward so far it feels like my ankle is gonna break. Can it really break? Please help me with some suggestions. Do you think my knee replacement surgeries and revisions were done properly? The doctor said one time my ligament stretghed. What does this mean?
What is valgus foot? What are the symptoms and problems of having this? How do I fix it?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Thanks for your query again and sorry for late reply.

It seems that implant might placed in wrong position, so mechenical axis disturbed and that's reason that your hip so messed.Without examining you it's difficult to comment, but from description it seems that your knee replacement surgery and revisions were done not properly.I suggest you to consult your surgeon for recent xray of knee , hip , ankle and foot, so that correct situation can be made.
Pes plano valgus means an abnormal foot due to a flattened arch, a rolled -in-appearance of ankle, and a heel that appears to be rolled out from under the ankle. Non surgical option include appropriate footwear and orthosis.Calf stretching exercises for 30-60 seconds at least two times per day.

Hope this will help you.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Follow-up: Knee replacement done. Facing walking difficulty and lump appeared on foot. How to cure this? 3 hours later
What do you suggest I do? Should I go to a new orthopedist for a second opinion? I know my knee is on a list of faulty knees. Please help me with suggestions. Do I possibly have a malpractice suit? Just guess? How long have you been a certified orthopedist? What state and city do you practice in? Thank you please respond asap. Do you think I need my knee replaced again? In your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello mam,

I can understand your anxiety. It is better to go to a new orthopaedist for a second opinion.Complications of surgery can occurs. It depends upon various factors like bone quality, how much knee was already damaged etc.So it is not a malpractice.
I suggest you to go to another orthopaedist, go for recent xrays under his/her guidence. Without recent xray and clinical findings of examination, I could not comment , that you need knee replaced again or not.
For my experience and where I practice , please go through my profile at healthcare magic.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX