Knee pain when bending, feeling tight above knee, swelling. What could be the problem?

Hello, I have really bad pain in my right knee when it's bent and also feels tight above the knee and swollen. When I look at both knees there is no significant difference. What could be the problem? Thanks
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
The tightness is most probably due to spasm of the muscle above the knee (quadriceps).
The sweling may mean fuid collection.
These two are most probably due to inflammation of the joint.
It is better to consult a orthopedic surgeon, get examined, undergo radiography of the joint and take it from there.
If the appointment is getting delayed, kindly visit the nearest Aand E.
Till u XXXXXXX the doc, REST to the joint/warm packs or compresses and pain killers ( oral/topical) may help.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for further queries if any.