Knee pain after fall. Difficulty walking. How long will it take to heal?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
I was playing a track and field game on the Xbox kinect. It required running in place and then jumping and landing pretty hard. When I landed the back of my knee started hurting at about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I rested for a while and the pain eased but it's been two weeks now that my ligaments slightly below my knee to the right and to my left on the outside directly next to my knee have been hurting. Also behind my knee is very uncomfortable and I can't walk longer than 10 minutes without discomfort or pain in those areas. How long should it take to heal or how long should I wait to see if it gets better before it's actually cause for concern? I'm 210lbs and 5'2 at 23 years of age and I've had weight related discomfort before but not noticeable enough for it to be a concern.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you have injured a ligament while landing.

You should get yourself examined clinically by an Orthopedic surgeon.
An X-Ray will help in reaching a diagnosis.

It takes few weeks to heal. You should give rest to your leg for speedy recovery.
Hot fomentation will be helpful.
Physiotherapy can be done after discussing with your doctor.

You can take pain killer like Ibuprofen one tablet twice a day after meals along with a proton pump inhibitor like Omeprazole 20 mg.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any furthur query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Knee pain after fall. Difficulty walking. How long will it take to heal? 2 days later
If the ibuprofen doesn't help the pain does that mean something more serious is wrong. It's now a more burning pain than before. Also what would the Omeprazole help with? I don't have gastrointestinal issues.

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your your response.

Pain simply indicates that there is an XXXXXXX inflammation or injury to a bone or soft tissue. If pain is not relieved by Ibuprofen, then you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated by an Orthopedic surgeon to rule out any severe damage.

Since pain killers can cause gastritis by damaging the mucosa of the stomach, antacid like Omeprazole should always be taken alongwith pain killers to prevent this damage.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any furthur doubts, please mention.
Wishing you speedy recovery.
Thanks.