Knee has tricompartmental DJD, ACL rupture, bakers cyst. MRI done. What do the findings mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my left knee has severe triccompatmental DJD...chronic ACL rupture.....advanced degenerarion posterior horn medial and lateral meniscus with probable torn anterior horns......moderate joint effusion and multiseptated Baker's cyst....

In layman's terms what specificallydo each of these findings mean

I am now submitting full report mri report ..MRI confirms the presence of severe tricompartmental degeneration.
Medial compartment cartilage is denuded. There are multiple and confluent areas of abnormal cartilage signal in the lateral compartment. There is generalized thinning of patellofermoral compartment cartilage. Tricompartmental osteophytosis is seen with small areas of subchondral edema in the medially and laterally around the femoral condyles. There is multi-septated synovial cyst in the popliteal fossa.
Medial collateral ligament is thickened and bowed medially. Lateral collateral ligament is likewise bowed laterally by osteophyte formation. Anterior crucial ligament is chronically ruptured; there is degenerative signal within the posterior cruciate ligament. Quadriceps mechanism is intact. There is a radial tear of the lateral meniscus as well as severe degeneration and complex tear posterior horn lateral meniscus. Posterior horn medial meniscus is diminutive in size with overall abnorminal signal and globular morphology.
Anterior horn medial meniscus is also diminutive in size.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The MRI findings of your knee joint are suggestive of age related degenerative changes along with inflammatory changes in the knee joint.
Cartilage thinning and osteophtes are suggestive of osteoarthritic changes in the knee.
There is evidence of old ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.
Lateral meniscus is also torn.
All these are chronic changes and conservative treatment with knee brace, pain killers, anti inflammatory drugs, joint lubricants and hot fomentation is usually advised.
You may consult your orthopedician who after proper clinical examination will advise the drugs best suitable for you.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Knee has tricompartmental DJD, ACL rupture, bakers cyst. MRI done. What do the findings mean? 11 hours later
Will a full knee replacement be in the offering for conditions described. Is my condition somewhat abnormal where a total knee replacement will not solve my condition. I am very active and want to continue many activities in the future as well.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Total knee replacement is a good option for you. This will solve your problems and will help you in leading a near normal life.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.