Kidney transplantation done. Urinalysis showed large hemoglobin. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just got a kidney transplant 3 1/2 weeks ago. My urinalysis shows large hemoglobin where it was negative the last 3 times. But my urine doesn't have blood in it, and it's clear and just yellow. No burning, pain, or irritation with urination at all. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welocome to XXXXXXX
This is called microhematuria where blood cant be seen by eye,but it can be found by urine analysis. Macrohematuria is condition where you can see blood in urine and usually is caused by stones.
Positive hemoglobine in urine is actually common finding after kidney transplantation,especially in such early phase so there is nothing to be worried.
Your kidney function can be evaluated by measuring creatinin and urea.
Many people are afraid of acute kindey rejection,but this is rare today and can be managed by strong medicines. SO if you dont have any symptoms, legs swelling,fever or lumbar pain, there in no reason to be concerned.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help