Kid swallowed otogesic ear drops-5 ml and started vomiting. Safe to give more liquid?

My kid swallowed Otogesic Ear Drops-5 ml. He is vomitting. Doctor suggested Ondem when we approached him & asked to give more liquids. please suugest if this treatement is ok
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Otogesic is an anesthetic ear drop preparation having dibucaine. Obviously, due to the fact that it is not palatable, your kid must have vomited out the contents.

Ondem has ondansetron which is a higher grade antiemetic and powerful. I must assume your doctor should have warned you against taking this medicine for longer periods. If not, check with him again for the right duration.

His advice for your kid to take more liquids is very right - as the gut would have been coated with the dibucaine and the glycerine base present in otogesic and repeated fluid intake will eventually wash away the entire contents both from the gut and through the kidney as some components may be water soluble to be excreted as water. More importantly, the nauseating feeling may also disappear soon.

I would also like to suggest you to keep him away from strong odors, oily food for some time till he is fine. And observe for any changes in the first 2 days.

Dibucaine is not very poisonous, as is Polyethylene glycol or glycerine present in otogesic. But, his current symptoms is due to the gut mucosal irritation that has lead to the vomiting. He should be fine soon, with the doctor's advice.

And next time, make sure you lock away the medicines in your home away from his reach.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.