Jumped from thirty feet into river, ears popped. Now paining. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
jumped of thirty foot rock into river and my ears popped and they still hurt 2hours later what can i do
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The popping of your ears was due to the sudden pressure changes.
The pain in the ears could be due to an injury to the tympanic memebrane. Most of the times such pain subsides on taking mild pain killers like acetaminophen.
In case the pain is persistent and there is any discharge from the ears then you need to consult an ENT specialist to rule out an infection in the area.
Meanwhile have plenty of fluids orally.
You can follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Keep your ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in your ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning your ears.
3.) Avoid blowing your nose.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.