Joint pain with fever, reddish eyes with burning, reddish spots on body, constipation. Rubella?

May 2013
Hi, my age 33. Have bad joint pain from past 2 days with mild fever(99 f) and eyes are red and burning. Small red spots in body. I am more worried because my wife is expecting and running 5 months . Is it something like Rubella ? The res spots are little in hand and some in my body. Skins are more reactive and pains even if I want to sit or sleep. Finding difficultiy for toilet as the anus pain a little. May be linked to body pain.

Please help me
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
According to the symptoms given by you the possibilities are,
1. Rubella: the symptoms will be fever, malaise, rash, stiff joints, transient arthritis etc, which are correlating with your symptoms.
But here what you have to remember is once active rubella infection occurs the immunity appears to be lifelong and re-infection is seen in only 2% of people.
If people in the house are having Rubella, the chance of pregnant women getting infected is 50 to 60%. The chance of fetal manifestation is rare after 16 weeks. As your wife is 5 months pregnant at present the chance of fetus getting affected is less.
Now what you can do is get, both you and your wife undergo serological examination for Rubella under guidance of local physician depending on the results you can proceed further.
2.measles: which will have similar symptoms, redness and irritation of eyes is more common in it. Presence of small white spots inside the mouth called koplik’s spots are characteristic of measles.
3. drug rashes is also one possibility, as you are having allergy to sulfa drugs remember whether is there any recent exposure to them.
4.the other possibilities are scarlet fever, erythema infectiosum etc.

The actual cause can be diagnosed by serological examinations and treatment can be started according to it. Meanwhile you use mouth mask to prevent spreading of the disease to others, take analgesics to get relief from body pains.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care