Itchy, smelly scrotum while carrying out physical activity. What could be the reason and treatment?

I've been struggling with this weird problem for many years. Whenever I start running, I get extreme itching in my scrotum immediately. The itching continues for several days and often produces a bad odor. Initially, I thought this might be due to STDs but my tests are all clean. I also went to a urologist and a dermatologist and they can't seem to understand the reason for this problem. Some say it's psychological but it turns out that it's directly related to physical activity. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 48 minutes later

The problem is related to a particular physical activity and is recurring then it may not be purely psychological unless proven otherwise.
I think you have a bit loose and hanging type of scrotum and excess moistness at local site, when you start the running session there is excess movements that result in excessive friction between the underwear and scrotal skin and this creates the cycle of symptoms.

You should wear a tight fitting underwear that should hold the scrotum free from movements.

If your scrotum does not seem hanging loose then It must be an chronic simple urticaria that is getting precipitated by irritation of friction and a new generation antihistaminic that your dermatologist will know for four weeks would be immensely helpful.

Watch out the track suit that you use if your skin is intolerant and also the detergent to wash the clothes. Frequently they were the causes.

I hope the advise will be fruitful to you.
Follow-up: Itchy, smelly scrotum while carrying out physical activity. What could be the reason and treatment? 47 minutes later

Are there any creams which I can use to prevent this and improve the damaged skin? I never had this issue before and I used to be very active in sports. Due to this problem, I can't do physical activity anymore.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hello Mertseninc,
Please do not use any creams there, the problem seems to be related to moistness and all the creams have a base that lead to incresed moistness.
Rather you should use powders to keep the scrotum free of moisture.
You can use any antifungal medicated powders with Clotrimazole available over the counter. YOur pharmacist can help you. Apply a thin layer.
I hope the would be helpful.