Itchy skin, skin infections. Has klebsiella. On antibiotics. What caused itchy skin?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
my brother has klebsiella? can this cause itchy skin? He has has infections now non stop for almost 10 months and is always on antibiotics, different ones. He has been found to have several bugs with one being Klebsiella. Would a stay in hospital with IV antibiotics be able to help him?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

What I gather from the information provided is he has atonic bladder with diabetes

Because he has parkinsonism he may not be able to care for his hygiene and residual urine would also be adding to infections

Considering all the problems he is suffering from I would recommend you get him hospitalized as institutional care will definetly help

Hope this helps
If there are no further doubts do accept this reply and rate it
Get well soon
Follow-up: Itchy skin, skin infections. Has klebsiella. On antibiotics. What caused itchy skin? 8 hours later
Can he get itchy skin from this problem? He has become quite itchy over the past couple of days.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for your followup query

Klebsiella can cause skin infections and follicullitis

The skin gets scaly red and itchy

So if the treatment of infection results positively the skin should get normal

Along with this you may add a dose of antihistaminic like cetrizine to reduce the itch and if the condition of skin is bad you may go for some local applications after consulting a dermatologist

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Wishing Your Brother A Speedy Recovery