Itchy reddish face after using facewash. Medication?

face is red and extremely itchy after using a facwash and clearsil? cannot stop itching. Is there anything i can get OTC or do i need to go to dermatoligist? thanks. female 49
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting the query.

The symptoms that you describe that is Redness, itching over your face following use of some cosmetic, points towards a diagnosis of Allergic Contact Dermatitis.

Usual line of treatment is as follows:

1. To try and stop scratching the area as more you itch, the lesion worsens.
2. Use of anti-histaminics to reduce the symptom of itch can be given.
3. Topical application of emolients can help the healing.
4. Use of short duration topical low dose Steroidal cream can help in reducing the inflammatory response.

Most cases usually heal on there own. I would suggest that you approach your Dermatologist to get these medications prescribed.

Hope I have answered all your queries. I will be available for follow up queries if any.