Itchy rash around both armpits. Solution ?

i have a itchy rash around both armpits and its driving me mad i am not sure if its heat rash but i get it when its not hot too or if its something i am eating cause i cant eat gluten ?????/
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Radhika 20 minutes later

You have itchy rash around both arm pits, it most probably suggests a local irritation, not allergy. If it is something you have eaten (gluten or using herbal drink) then it would have affected your entire body and not just arm pits.

Did it start after you have shaved?
It could be from an old, unhygienic razor. It could also be due to heat.

Try using a gentle non-fragranced soap in the area, keep the area dry. Use a hypo-allergic deodorant for awhile.

It could also be due to your laundry detergent, try changing it.
Use cotton loose fitting clothes for a while.

You could apply 1% Hydrocortisone twice a day (it might burn for some time and then it will reduce). This is an over the counter medicine. You do not need a doctor’s prescription for the same. If it's not reduced by a week, you should see a Dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries, if any.
Follow-up: Itchy rash around both armpits. Solution ? 3 hours later
i dont know if this has anything to do with the rash but about the same time my head has been also itchy but no lice or dandruff i thought it may be dry scalp but i get getting funny shiver feelings all over my head (where my hair is) i have no idea what it is i thought of going to the dr but my hubby says its proberlly heat but i am not totally sure. more shiver feelings than itch.....
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Itchy scalp could be due to hypersensitivity to the skin yeast, Pityrosporum ovale, which lives on everyone's scalp.

Treatment involves using an anti-fungal shampoo containing ketoconazole after consulting your dermatologist.

Some other causes include sunburn caused by the Ultraviolet (UV) rays present in the spectrum of sunlight. UV rays can burn the superficial cells of the scalp. These dead cells can lead to itchy scalp. In addition, if there is excess sweat production, the itchy state worsens. The best way to treat sunburn is to avoid sunlight further. One has to wear cap and sun-protective lotions.

Infection of the scalp tissue with bacteria (commonly by Staphylococcus) can lead to itchy scalp also. Spread from other part of the scalp and also from other body parts can lead to this condition. Antibiotics and anti-allergic medicines can help in treating the condition.

Shivery feeling in the scalp is most likely seen due to a viral infection which causes cold. But you do not seem to have cold, cough, sneezing, runny nose, paired with congestion, associated with this.

Have a gluten free diet for a few days and observe the changes.