Itchy hands and feet at night. What could be causing this?

Hello, I've been having this issue for a while now but it's been getting worse. My hands and feet get really itchy but not like a skin itching, more like a need to rub them very hard, specially my toes and fingers. It's not a skin issue, it's XXXXXXX It sounds silly but it gets so bad I sometimes make myself bleed and it keeps me up at night. It never happens during the day, only at night. It keeps me from sleeping and/or staying asleep. My veins stick or a lot too when this happens. It's annoying. I can't be with myself. I feel like I want to cop them off.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I can imagine your dilemma but would like to know a few more facts to guide you further:
1. Are you diabetic?
2. Does it happen if you warm your limbs during the day?
3. How long has it been happening?
4. Any relief by taking any medication such as anti-histamines?

As my queries suggest such an itch usuall follows when the limbs are warmed especially if one has chillblains. Though you definitely do not have chillblains but the condition gets aggravated when you cover yourself at night.

If you are not taken any anti-histamines then you can try taking one before retiring and observe its effect over the next week.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal