Itchy boils with discharge on hands. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I am getting small itchy boils all over my hands. They are becoming really persistent and ooze out sticky liquid when broken. Afterwards the skin just dries off...
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Are these lesions over the exposed area of the both hands.
2) Is itching more in the night.
3) Do you have similar lesions on both legs.
4) Is this the first time you have got these or was it there last year also.
5) Any history of allergy or running nose /sneezing /asthma .

It is very important to see the lesions clinically here .
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

There seems to be a possibility of it being PRURIGO SIMPLEX. This is a condition which is more common over the exposed areas of the body and is related to mosquito bite or insect bite.This manifests as small round lesions which are itchy.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Itchy boils with discharge on hands. Treatment? 23 hours later
Hi Dr Chawda,

Thanks for your response. Please find my answers below:

1) Are these lesions over the exposed area of the both hands. - Yes, primarily on the fingers
2) Is itching more in the night. - No timing of the day is not a factor.
3) Do you have similar lesions on both legs. - No
4) Is this the first time you have got these or was it there last year also. - Last year it was milder, one or two boils here and there. I think they coincided with the monsoon season.
5) Any history of allergy or running nose /sneezing /asthma . - No

I shall upload pictures as soon as possible. I was going through some pictures on google and the pictures of dermatitis are very similar to my condition.

Thanks and Regards,

Biswaroop

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 47 minutes later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply ,

Since these are small boils mainly over the fingers as you mentioned I would like to put up the possibility of POMPHOLYX here rather than the one I quoted in my last reply.

In pompholyx one gets multiple water filled lesions mainly distributed between sides of fingers .It is associated with itching and mild oozing.But a picture of the same would help me suggest you better.

This is nothing but a kind of allergy.You need to take a course of oral antibiotic (preferably amoxycillin with clavulanic acid) to take care of secondary infection.Along with this you also need to apply topical steroid cream twice a day.

To take care of itching you can take a course of oral antihistaminics like cetrizine tablet.Very rarely one would require oral steroid especially if severe.

Perhaps consult a competent dermatologist for physical examination, evaluation and to get the antibiotics & steroid prescribed to you by them.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr.Bharat chawda